10 January 2011

a few notes for the day...

Ok, so I know there are no pictures. Hopefully soon that will be rectified... but until then...

Last night I roasted a chicken. While this doesn't sound all that impressive... I have actually NEVER roasted a whole chicken before. I finally put into practice what I know about roasting them... soon the house was filled with a wonderful aroma and the sound of crackling skin. It came out perfectly... crispy skin, moist meat falling off the bones. I immediately picked the thing (ate a good bit of it in the process)... so I could throw the carcass in the pot to make stock. And since the skin was so well salted, the stock came out perfectly. I was gonna go all paleo with my soup choice, but with the cold, snowy day all I really wanted was my Italian barley/potato/carrot soup. So that's what I did. And honestly, it's the best on I have ever made! And I didn't have to add a drop of salt, since the broth was already perfect! :)

All this to say, I am really excited, have decided there is no reason to ever buy a rotisserie chicken again, and stock from a roasted chicken is best!

On another note...
Caden stayed with Ms Anne this morning while I went to Physical Therapy. Shortly after arriving at the office, I got a text from Anne and this is what it said...
"Your son just said, 'well, my question is, how do we get the banana back after we do bad things like throw it? I got a time out, but mommy went outside.' and then he rambled about monsters under his bed for a while."

What am I going to do with this kid? Tomorrow, if the snow comes again tonight, we are gonna put on his boots and go "crunching" around in the snow. Caden loves to crunch snow. :) If winter keeps up like this, I might have to give in and get a pair of winter boots... lol... but probably not.

I love you baby... glad you are safe and sound. Hope you keep getting good sleep!

11 comments:

Phillip said...

Any chance we can have the receipe for your Italian Barley/Potato/Carrot Soup-PLEASE! Grandma & Grandpa Smalley

M said...

Our son is quite intelligent. Are you sure you do not want to start him on some sort of baby genius program?

ebers79 said...

soup recipe is posted. :)

yes, he is one smart puppy! i think i will just keep doing what i am doing and see what happens.

...me said...

..."there is no reason to ever buy a rotisserie chicken again" - those are words of wisdom...store-roasted chickens have been known to be agents of doom cleverly disguised as food...

(...my word verification: "cologyra" - what irony, eh?)

...me said...

...by the way, please let caden know that if he takes the banana and mixes it with an orange before he throws it, he will get a bananarange (pronounced with a soft 'g'), which will always come back to him after he throws it!
...love, meme : )

(word verification: foodis - okay, this scaring me now!)

M said...

Ooooooorrrrrrrrr..... we can start him on the path to MIT by the age of 11 and he can solve the energy crisis. I vote for B.

my verification word is terseman.

ebers79 said...

mom, i figured you would appreciate the refrain from buying pre-roasted chickens... though, after 10 yrs of buying them from Sams... we have never once had a problem. There's a big difference between Sams and your crazy BuyLow... or however they spell it...

Michael... by age 11, that will be fine. of are you talking about wanting him IN MIT by age 11... now that, um, NO. nice try though...

and i have no verification word. and mom, i have to go look up your first one, since i have no idea what it means.

...me said...

...neither did i ever have a problem with rotisserie chicken in california
...the problem truly is with bile-lo and their non-compliance with health department statute #1: "thou shalt not put defrosted whole fryers that are past their expiration date on the spit and then peddle them from the rotisserie chicken cart" ...very bad juju...

(word verification: "resse" which rhymes with messy which is how things get when you eat bad chicken)

ebers79 said...

still a big fan of the Sam's club rotisserie chicken... it's super tasty, fast, and still under $5... but, the one I made rivals it, and made my house smell amazing, and didn't get drippings in my car trying to get it home! So... guess I need to stock up on chickens more often... now, if only I could find a way to get them fresh from the farm...

by the by... the chicken i did... yea... totally came from the chattanooga Pilgrims (or whatever it's called)... chicken "plant".

M said...

Ok then, I guess I will just have to settle with sending him to ninja summer camp.

verification word: piono

ebers79 said...

always figured there would be ninja summer camps... if he wasn't already spending the summer training for Ninja Warrior... or is that what happens at Ninja Summer Camp?