04 September 2008

dinner will never be the same

I know that I said I wasn't going to start the little monkey on solids before he was 6 months old or at least sitting up in a highchair on his own. But... in the recent weeks, he's been showing the classic signs of being ready to jump toward solids... So... Last night, I mashed up some banana for him for the very first time. (ok, so i gave in). Since last night's foray into solids went so well... I decided to go ahead and make the investment. So today, I gave in some more. Gmommy and I took the little monkey shopping for his new highchair. It's amazing... they don't make highchairs like the one I had as a child... for that matter, they don't make them like the ones I used when babysitting for people 10-20 years ago. So after some serious comparison shopping and discussing the pros and cons with Gmommy... we settled on this wonderful orange chair. I have to admit, it's going to be the most colorful apartment now, thanks to all the baby gear.
This evening, after getting the chair all put together... the boy took it for a test drive. With his Caden monogrammed bib and his mommy holding his infant spoon in hand, we went for the ever mushy banana. The videos speak for themselves. Liz and I laughed and laughed. She was trying so hard to keep the camera from shaking while she was laughing. (and i think the background noise was the dryer. sorry about that). And in case you are wondering what the green stick like thing is on the tray... it's a stalk of asparagus. Yes, Gmommy took the monkey for a walk outside while I made dinner this evening, and he came back with asparagus in hand (or rather, mouth). He likes to "chew" on them. I know, this breaks the cardinal rule of only one new food at a time... oh well. He's his mother's son... he likes raw asparagus.
His list of foods at least tasted/sucked on to date:
Banana
Peaches
Lemon
Watermelon
Asparagus
Carrot
Pinapple (juice from fresh slices, and no, he didn't drink it... i only dipped his spoon in it and let him put his spoon in his mouth... which he does very well on his own. though, i don't foresee him getting it into his mouth with actual food on it any time soon... at least i don't want it to be any time soon)
And I think that's it. Yea, guess I didn't really wait. Oh well, he is enjoying all his new discoveries... even the lemon slice... which he put back in his mouth several times. :)

2 comments:

M said...

I was laughing so hard, I was getting dirty looks in the MWR! What a little man!!! I love you both very much, and am extremely proud of both of you.

...me said...

ahhhhhhhhh...sheer delight on his little face! :)